The VA will require a copy of the veteran’s service record in order to verify the veteran’s War-Time service. This document is often called a DD-214 or a Discharge Summary. You must include this document in your claim application.  This is a two page document and not a certificate.

If you absolutely can’t find this document, you can order it by clicking on the “Order Records” icon below.  Ordering the records from the VA is free; however, it may take 4-8 weeks to receive it. Complete the application and send it in while you await your records.  In no way will this negatively impact the VA’s decision.